The purpose of the Excellence in Accounting Scholarship of the New York State Society of Certified Public Accountants (NYSSCPA) and its Foundation for Accounting Education (FAE) is to provide financial assistance to encourage and aid deserving candidates to enter the accounting profession. Accordingly, scholarship awards will be based heavily on financial need. At the same time, applicants must meet or exceed a threshold of acceptable academic performance. The program is administered by the FAE, a 501(c) (3) foundation.
The application is available here .
- Have declared a major in accounting as described below and, if applicable, been accepted to that major.
- Be residents of New York State and either U.S. citizens or permanent residents. If you are not a U.S. citizen or do not have a permanent resident visa, you are NOT eligible for a scholarship and should not submit an application.
- Be enrolled at or accepted to a New York State college or university that offers an accounting program(s) registered by the New York State Education Department as meeting the educational requirements for admission to the CPA examination (hereafter designated as a “Registered College”).
- Have completed a minimum of 72 credit hours by April 1, 2014, and 84 credits by the start of the fall 2014 semester. Part-time students or students whose programs have followed an irregular pattern must be at an equivalent stage. In addition, such students must have successfully completed one semester of the colleges' intermediate accounting course(s).
- Have achieved an overall cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or higher (based on a four-point system) for the above 72+ credit hours as of April 1, 2014, and maintained a grade point average of 3.0 or higher.
- Have completed and filed a FAFSA application and been approved for financial aid. If you have not applied and been approved for financial aid, you are not eligible for the scholarship and should not submit this application.
- Have FAE Campus Liaison or Department Chair approval (see THE APPLICATION PROCESS).
- Completed applications MUST include an official transcript. Transcripts can be mailed ahead of your application but the application will not be considered complete until official transcripts are received.
AMOUNT AND DURATION OF SCHOLARSHIP
1. The scholarship is based upon a full year of academic study. The amount of the scholarship shall be $2,500 for full-time study (see 2 below) and $1,250 for part-time study. Payments will be issued in September. They will be made copayable to the student and the school. The scholarship award will be reduced for students enrolled for less than a full year and will be based upon the terms completed.
2. Each applicant must be enrolled for at least 12 semester credits to receive a full scholarship; an applicant enrolled in six to 11.5 credits per semester shall be eligible to receive a partial scholarship; am applicant enrolled for fewer than six credits is not eligible for an award.
3. A student may reapply for a scholarship each year through the Campus Liaison  or department chair.
4. Requests for consideration of special circumstances, such as deferral of a scholarship during a period of leave of absence, may be made to the FAE Scholarship Committee.
To learn more about the New York State Society of CPAs and programs for future CPAs, visit www.nysscpa.org . For further information, please contact Diane Abela by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org .
THE APPLICATION PROCESS
Please use this link  to complete and submit the Excellence in Accounting scholarship application.
Completed applications are accepted only with the College’s Campus Liaison verification. For a complete list of Liaisons, see www.nysscpa.org/liaisons.htm . Students who do NOT have a Campus Liaison may submit their completed application via their department chair.
The application consists of the following sections: Personal Information & Questionnaire, Academic Information, Attach Documents, Letter of Recommendation (also includes Financial Aid information request), and Essay.
Each section must be completed in full by the student or appropriate school representative to be eligible for scholarship consideration.
2014 - 2015 FAE Scholarship Winners
||First Name||Last Name|
|Alfred University||Kelly Jo||Stein|
|College of Saint Rose||Beata||Kirzhner|
|College of Saint Rose||David||Leather|
|CUNY/College of Staten Island||Elena||Ghelan|
|Le Moyne College||John||Rogan|
|Mount Saint Mary College||Joseph||Loeffler|
|Mount Saint Mary College||Rebecca||Jacobini|
|New York University||Caitlin||Leahy|
|New York University||Connor||Mortland|
|New York University||Justin||Chung|
|New York University||Xindi||Xu|
|St. Bonaventure University||Nicholas||Brown|
|St. Francis College||Idalizza||Berrios|
|St. Joseph's College||Anthony||Pineiro|
|Suny New Paltz||Richard||Guido|
|Suny New Paltz||Brian||Jung|
|Syracuse University||Xia Fen||Yu|
|University at Buffalo||Kristi||Figenscher|
|University at Buffalo||Louis||Galarza|
|University at Buffalo||Richard||Heaton|
|University at Buffalo||Jamilya||Koilubaeva|
|University at Buffalo||Nathan||Linderman|
|University of Rochester||David||Lyubezhanin|
2014 - 2015 COAP Scholarship Winners
|School||First Name||Last Name
|University at Albany||Arlene||Castro|
|University at Albany||Shannon||Berchem|
|University of Buffalo||Yusef||Burgos|
|Suffolk County Community College||Joseph||Gonzalez|
|Binghamton University (SUNY)||Brian||Galvin|
|Binghamton University (SUNY)||Taylor||Tobey|
|Rochester Institute of Technology||Shayla||Sanders|
|FAE Excellence in Accounting Scholarships||First Name||Last Name|
|Manhattan/Bronx Ted Wilson Scholarship|
|Anchin Block & Anchin Scholarships|
Join the Society Today
Check out some of the benefits:
- Opportunities to Network: Improve your chances of finding a great job with access to thousands of accounting professionals through participation in one of 15 local NYSSCPA chapters or more than 60 committees across New York State.
- The CPA Journal : A $21 value! Get the most timely analysis, debate, and interpretation of current issues in the accounting profession delivered to your door.
- The Trusted Professional : A $15 value! The Society’s newspaper that provides accounting and NYSSCPA news.
- Group Discounts: Obtain discounts that are tailor-made for students, including great rates on credit cards.
- Technical Assistance and Know-how:The Society is a valuable resource for all your accounting, auditing, and tax questions.
- Discounted Professional Education : All of our seminars and conferences are available to all of our members at a discount.
- Online 24/7: Access virtually all our services via the Web at your convenience.
- Political Advocacy: Our Our 30,000 members mean our voice—and yours—will be heard in Congress and the state Legislature.
To apply online, click here .
To request an application form by mail, contact the Membership Department at 1-(800) NYSSCPA.
For further information about the dues structure, click here .
Useful Links for Students
- Beta Alpha Psi : The premier national financial honors fraternity for financial information professionals. Check out this site for their calendar of events, chapter handbook, available scholarships, and job links.
- The official student Web site of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA):  Find out more about the best college accounting programs, how to become a CPA, and career opportunities.
- How to become an accountant in New York State:  Find out what you need to do to take the first steps toward becoming a CPA in New York State.
- Information about the CPA Examination:  Learn everything you need to know about the CPA licensing examination.
- Learn more about what an entry-level accountant really does:  Check out this site for detailed information about jobs in the accounting field.
- Search for jobs : Visit this independent online career site for accounting and finance professionals.
- Occupational Outlook of Accounting Jobs : The Bureau of Labor Statistics provides further information about the nature of the work, employment data, training and qualifications, job outlook, and salary information.
- Salary information : An accounting career provides individuals with competitive entry-level salaries and long-term growth potential, especially if you’ve earned your CPA designation.