Attention FAE Customers:
Please be aware that NASBA credits are awarded based on whether the events are webcast or in-person, as well as on the number of CPE credits.
Please check the event registration page to see if NASBA credits are being awarded for the programs you select.

Want to save this page for later?


The Daily

In Resume Fibs, Some Lies Heavier Than Others

Chris Gaetano
Published Date:
Apr 15, 2016
Lying ManYou've got a new hire who isn't working out, and after some digging found that certain details on their resume may have been, well, lies. How severe a find this is depends, though, on what exactly the lie was, according to Fast Company. While 69 percent of hiring managers would fire someone on the spot for lying on their resume, Fast Company points out that leaves 31 percent who wouldn't. It seems that certain falsehoods on a resume are considered white lies that don't really matter. Citing another survey, Fast Company said the more acceptable lies include: 

  • Computer skills
  • Year of graduation
  • Duties in former position
  • Promotions
On the other hand, the more serious lies, the ones that would get someone fired on the spot, include: 

  • College
  • Foreign language fluency
  • Academic degree
  • Former employment history

Of course, rather than gamble and hope your manager is in the 31 percent who wouldn't fire you right away, it might be more prudent to simply tell the truth on your resume and avoid the whole mess.