Government Affairs Associate
Do you believe everyone should have a say in policy decisions impacting or influencing their profession? We do. We at The NYSSCPA advocate issues of importance to the accounting profession.
We are currently seeking an experienced candidate with a strong background in government relations and a focus on fundraising to join our Government Relations team.
State government affairs have never been as challenging as they are now. The ideal candidate will monitor how government plans will affect businesses and promote the interests of CPAs and be responsible for advocating on behalf of the association's legislative and regulatory agenda. The ideal candidate will bring his/her connections and expertise with state and local issues to the table for our members. Help us carry out our vision of establishing a key role in the political arena protecting our profession.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and implement innovative and creative communications programs designed to position the advocacy initiatives of the Society and the profession.
- Develop and execute strategies for legislative media exposure working in conjunction with the General Counsel and the Media Relations Manager, including drafting talking points, op-eds and coordinating Political Action Committee (PAC), and developing PAC and Government Affairs marketing and communications materials.
- Schedule speakers and promote chapter fundraising events that support the PAC. Maintain PAC merchandise and inventory.
- Plan and attend fundraising events. Assist in planning of Annual Governance Forum.
- Draft and revise all agendas and minutes for PAC and Legislative Task Force (LTF) meetings.
- Coordinate with contract lobbyists. Ensure compliance with all lobbying reporting requirements and file all lobbying reports.
- Develop and schedule lobby days for member participation with legislators in Albany.
- Create and evaluate strategies to improve the effectiveness of print-based and online advocacy communications campaigns.
- Develop interactive features, such as polls, to gauge opinion on site features and current issues affecting the profession.
- Produce and disseminate the quarterly Alert e-newsletters.
- Provide staff support to one or more Society committees. Staff support includes facilitating the creation of timely meeting agendas by committee chairs, attending meetings and taking minutes, writing articles for Society publications regarding newsworthy matters of interest discussed at committee meetings, and additional support as needed.
- Help develop the NYSSCPA legislative agenda in conjunction with leadership.
- Stay informed on issues in other states and with the AICPA that might have implications for NY's legislative agenda.
- Maintain relationship with the state board, Regents, SED as appropriate.
- Actively monitor the legislative environment for issues that might impact the profession in NY.
- Other tasks as assigned.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Strong writing skills are essential, as this position requires communication to a variety of audiences.
- Strong legislative research skills required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Political Science, Economics, Communications or other related areas.
- 3-5 years experience with at least 2 or more years of related work experience with the New York State’s Government, preferred.
- PAC experience preferred.
- Association experience preferred.
- Ability to think strategically and respond quickly to developing issues that require a response on behalf of the organization.
- Ability to set priorities and work under tight deadlines while exercising flexibility, initiative and self-motivation.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications.
- Ability to meet strict deadlines.
When applying for this position, please send cover letter and resume and include “Government Affairs Associate” in the subject line. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. No telephone calls or agencies.
Manager of Chapter Outreach
Are you the New York State Society of CPAs’ next Manager of Chapter Outreach? We’re looking for someone with the initiative and drive to break new ground, build new programs and engage our chapter members. We’re building a new organization for a new generation of CPAs. Our goal is to grow membership throughout New York State.
Can you communicate, persuade and influence? Do you work collaboratively with colleagues and volunteers? Would you like the opportunity to build your own leadership skills and curate followers?
Here’s what you’ll do:
- Be the architect of a strategic plan to increase chapter engagement.
- Help grow membership throughout New York State
- Mentor leaders to grow thriving chapters
- Identify, create, plan, and develop new chapter programs and services in order to engage and recruit chapter members.
- Plan, promote and implement events.
- Build and foster meaningful relationships with chapter members that will increase the awareness of programs, services, and advocacy available through the NYSSCPA.
- Travel to each of the 15 chapters throughout the State on a regular and routine basis.
- Assist the department in member recruitment activities.
- Meet annual membership goals and metrics.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- At least 3-5 years related experience in building volunteer engagement and creating and executing successful events.
- Outstanding communication skills, well-honed relationship building skills, and highly developed interpersonal skills with the presence and personal style to represent the organization to multiple constituents.
- Ability to learn and work with our database to analyze data and trends.
- Excellent organizational, project and time management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and manage complex projects and meet deadlines under tight timelines with a strong attention to detail.
- Ability to handle a fast-paced environment and multi-task.
- Driver’s License required.
- Frequent travel around New York State required.
Benefits & Compensation:
- Salary commensurate with experience
- Benefits offered
When applying for this position, please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com
. Please include “Manager of Chapter Outreach”
in the subject line. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. No telephone calls or agencies.
Webcast Production Specialist
Our professional membership association for certified public accountants is looking for a creative Webcast Production Specialist for the production of video webcasts and audio webinars.
This position is responsible for pre-production, production and post-production work for various live events, interviews, webcast programs and all other aspects of the digital media function. This includes shooting interviews/b-roll and editing internal and external projects including product demos, corporate videos and image spots. It also includes the preparation and testing of recorded video and other graphic material used in webcasts and other digital media programming, pre-production testing of speaker and studio audio and video, lighting, editing, testing and archiving of productions.
Under the direction of NYSSCPA’s Director of Operations, identify and produce multimedia programs that are relevant to the accounting profession and the workplace at large. Create, post, update and support webcasts, video and podcasts for NYSSCPA and social media. Other duties include:
- Operate audio, video, and technology equipment to produce top quality web events.
- Act as videographer, director, crew, and editor, in the classroom, studio and remote locations, precisely following established processes and checklists.
- Set up, test, and troubleshoot real-time equipment, streaming and other technical issues.
- Coordinate with conference/seminar coordinators on scheduling and requirements for web event setup process.
- Interact with staff across multiple levels and departments within the organization to create high quality productions.
- Rapidly learn new company technologies for producing online education events, as well as utilize Adobe Creative Cloud, specifically Premier Audition and After Effects, to create a wide range of projects, ranging from interviews to podcasts, to company videos and promotional spots.
- Serve as primary relationship contact with third party technology providers.
- Manage the timely conversion of live web events to on-demand self-study products.
- Respond to customer service issues before, during and after web events, as well as staff customer service issues.
- Manages video archives to avoid exceeding data limits.
- Perform other A/V jobs as needed.
- Become expert in implementing and maintaining all A/V equipment.
- Keep inventory of all A/V equipment.
- Keep track of schedule of events, including maintaining and updating internal calendars.
- Identify and order new A/V as needed.
- Assist in budgeting for A/V equipment and needs.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- At least 2 years related work experience for professional organization or company.
- Strong editing and post production skills a must.
- Experience with A/V equipment; avid and eager learner with the desire to meet new challenges and with demonstrated ability to quickly acquire new skills and learn new technologies.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment.
- Ability to multitask and coordinate multiple events simultaneously.
- Strong project management skills and strict attention to detail.
- The ideal candidate has work experience at a professional organization, a strong attention to detail, a fast learning curve with new technologies, and strong troubleshooting skills.
- Some travel or extended work hours will be required based on event schedule.
When applying for this position, please send cover letter and resume and include “Webcast Production Specialist” in the subject line. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. No telephone calls or agencies.